Saturday, August 30, 2008

I think she would be my friend...

I have to say that the four to six minutes I watched the Democratic National Convetion I was totally turned off-- not because of any individual but because of the machine that politics are. I realize that both parties have the machine in full swing for the 2008 election but for some reason the announcement of John McCain's VP candidate has really drawn my interest. I think Sarah Palin would be my friend - she would be at the park with her children and she would visit with me - not because of photo opportunities but because she seems kind. This leads me to these thoughts:

1. do I vote for someone just because they have a nice VP candidate?
2. does the Republican machine have people like me in mind when they select a candidate like Sarah Palin? If they do - do they think I can't think beyond appearances and niceties?
3. could a rookie in national politics run our country effectively?

I don't want to seem shallow or insincere - I really like Sarah Palin and I have enjoyed reading about her. She may be just what we need in Washington - a no nonsense outsider!! I rarely talk politics with anyone other than Ben but this woman is worthy of thought. I would love to hear your thoughts on Sarah! (we would be on a first name basis - I think she would understand me because she has been where I am and from what I have read - she love Jesus!!)

6 comments:

camiropa said...

I just stumbled upon your blog from the Pioneer Woman... I have to say how much I liked this post... I feel the same way! Sarah Palin would be my friend...

and I like the thought of that in our government...

whats more... there are all of these commentators (Democrats of course) saying that she has had no experience in government, but listen:

She has had MORE THAN OBAMA!!!!

She actually RUNS the state of Alaska, and she does one helluva job...

I find it interesting that Obama is a junior senator from Illinois who doesn't run anything; in fact, the Senate committee that he is the chairman of, HAS NOT EVEN EVER HAD A MEETING!!

If you ask me, he's the novice candidate, even Hillary Clinton said during her own campaign that "Obama does not have enough experience to lead our country"-

Sarah Palin has a great go-get 'em attitude. Her oldest is headed to Iraq, her youngest has Downs Syndrome... the woman seems to cover MANY bases with her life experience and while she can look sweet and pretty, when she grabs a rifle: WATCH OUT!

McCain had my vote anyway, but I think Palin's addition to his ticket will make this mighty interesting. I don't think that a person typically chooses to vote based on the VP candidate, but with Palin being a woman, we women might have a change of heart.

GO McCAIN/PALIN!

Anonymous said...

Sandy-

We also have been quite captivated by McCain's VP development. REgarding your thought #3 I must ask, "Do the experienced politicians run the country effectively?" No doubt in my mind that a spunky, energetic, common sense, hard-working mother of 5 could run it much better!

I also am sick of the political machine(s).

Doug

Robin said...

Maybe things are finally starting to change and for the better. I have always had a icky feeling about Obama. I have reservations about McCain as well. It is going to be a wild ride from now until election day. In that time I wouldn't be surprised to read something negative about Sarah- people play dirty and we all have our secrets. My hope is that she will be everything she appears to be and I will not have to flip a coin to determine who my vote will go to.

Brent Butte said...

I like what I've heard

Suzanne said...

Go Sarah Go!

I think she is great, and I can make peace with voting McCain with the hope that he will . . . well, you know, and Sarah can be prez.

Anonymous said...

I hate to be the party pooper here but she wouldn't be at the park with her kids for long on a random day, her job is "demanding". Like it or not this woman picked a career in politics over her kids. You don't attain that kind of position without sacrificing significant "family-time".