Thursday, October 01, 2009

i did it...

This summer I met a couple people who make their own laundry detergent. I am tired of paying a lot for something that doesn't last very long so I decided to give it a whirl.
These are the ingredients you need along with a five gallon bucket with a lid. I got mind at Walmart for $5. The above cost me about 7.50 and for 10 gallons you only use half of the oxi clean(washing soda) and only half a cup of the borax. The Naptha soap was only 99 cents. I used the recipe the Duggars use.
First you grate the bar of soap and cover it with hot water in your pan. Then you stir and dissolve the soap in the water.
In the bucket you mix your half cup of borax and a cup of oxi clean (or washing soda).
Pour the warm naptha soap mix into the powder mixture and stir until the powder is dissolved. It is important to be sure there are not lumps - I used a wisk after the spoon.
Then fill the bucket up to the top with water, cover and let it sit overnight. Stir it the next day - I was shocked that it was a very thick mixture just from sitting overnight. Use an old detergent container and fill it half way with your mixture from the bucket and half with water. So your finished 5 gallon bucket of soap actually makes 10 gallons of detergent. I use one cup in each load. It smells very fresh and does the job well. The whole project took about 30 minutes on the first day and about 10 on the second.


2 comments:

rosa said...

I am impressed! Let me know how it does!

Anonymous said...

I am very impressed!! It just seems like so much work, but it really isn't, huh?!! I should try it sometime, but I know I never will.

Kari